Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Magnesium

Magnesium can help as long as you don't use too much (it will increase potassium levels which in turn can worsen myotonia). It would take quite a bit to do that, so I would just work up gradually and stop at the dosage where you see relief.

I would suggest magnesium oil so that your daughter doesn't have to swallow a pill. I've gotten very good feedback. It may burn just a little - some people say they spray it on the bottom of their feet to avoid that. This is a brand that has very good reviews:

Magnesium Oil

I know most children don't like spicy foods, but if she can gradually get used to the taste of hot peppers (salsa, Tabasco sauce, pepper flakes) it can really help with the stiffness.

Here is a medical journal article about using magnesium and calcium to help relieve myotonia.

Magnesium and Calcium for CLCN1 Myotonia

You can buy a combination of the two in a capsule form which could be opened and mixed into juice or something like yogurt or ice cream:

Calcium Citrate Plus Magnesium

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's

I received my magnesium oil,it is very strong as mention,it seem to have relieved my kidney stones,I used it on my toothbrush,my city water is so strongly treated I hope to find something to neuterlize the ph,there is a vitamin C shower head claiming to eliminate chlorine or flouride by 99.9% anyone think it would be worth trying?

Type of Myotonia: BM

I haven't heard of a vitamin C shower head, but I have one with a filter media called chlorgon that reduces chlorine. You can buy it at Home Depot:

Sprite Shower Filter

The only thing that can completely remove fluoride is reverse osmosis or distillation. Some filter media can help reduce levels (like alumina) but I think many of the claims online are not legitimate.

Jan

Jan,
The magnesium helps me too, but after a few days of it, it acts the same as Milk of Magnesia. Is there some other way to take it that won't cause loose stools?
Thanks!

Type of Myotonia: PMC

Sometimes it can help to take calcium and vitamin D which tends to slow smooth muscle contractions. Magnesium has been used as a laxative for a long time, and it can take some experimenting to find the right amount. We buy our calcium and magnesium in powder form so we can adjust the ratio easier.

Jan

As I read the article, it dawned on me that while I was pregnant, I was put on Magnesium Sulfate to stop contractions. I specifically remember they said I would become very weak. I didn't. I could finally move!! My symptoms during pregnancy were awful. I wish I had known then to supplement magnesium while I was pregnant.

At least I will know to tell my daughters some day now.

Type of Myotonia: Beckers