Return to Website

Myotonia Congenita Forum

This forum has been closed for comments.  You can still search archived messages.

Visit  the Non-Dystrophic Myotonias  Facebook Group

Myotonia Congenita Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
small muscles

Hi,

I was born with MC and I am now 30, I have small muscles for my upper part (shoulders and arms) however I have big muscles for the lower part of my body (legs). I don't know why is that as I read that MC patients have big muscles.

And how can I have a good muscles (esp shoulders) I go to the gym twice per week but I don't find any improvements (sometimes I go to the gym but I was almost worser than the previous day I was there, and sometimes I can not lift any weights, is that normal?)
Please I need your help.

Thanks

Type of Myotonia: MC

Re: small muscles

Stephan, the muscles get large in our legs because we stress them every time we walk or go up stairs. Our arms don't get stressed as much unless you have a job where you do a lot of lifting. So with MC it is fairly common to have much larger lower body muscle groups (calves & thighs).

When you go to the gym, it's best to start with lighter weights, fewer reps and fewer sets. If you feel burning, then your damaging the muscles. While bodybuilders push to that point, for us it's not a good idea. It's better to build up slower because we don't recover from the damage as well.

Sometimes there is a rebound effect where you are very stiff, and then very weak. It has to do with the shift in potassium. Many of us find that drinking skim milk before and after a workout helps because it contains all the electrolytes and nourishes the muscle cells.

Jan

Type of Myotonia: Thomsen's