Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Are the TWH Models Museum Quality?

Are the TWH Models Museum Quality?

For all of you that have got your hands on them, do you think it lives up to the marketing hype of Museum Quality? From what I have seen it has painted light and some paint flaws, what’s your take on this?

Re: Are the TWH Models Museum Quality?

Mine wasn't. I only ordered one piece (Chicago Crash Truck) and returned it for a refund. One of the roll up doors was broken and the light bar was crooked on the rear. I could have probably overlooked it, but not for $200! They do have a lot of detail to them, but most of it I don't really care about, like the moving suspension, engine wiring, etc. To each is own with that type of detail, but I was most disapointed with the look of the roll up doors. They had a bulky, toyish look. I guess it was the best that they could do to make them roll up, but I think they would have looked a lot better if they were static. The non-rolling, roll up doors on Code-3 pieces look much better. To me, the doors just kill the piece. Your eye is so drawn to them when you look at it. Some folks may love them, but for the price, they just don't do it for me. Just my opinion

First, I'd like a definition or discussion of museum quality, and expectations therein. When I think of museum models, they are highly detailed BUT not necessarily functional.

mjl

to troy
as for the rear lightbar that should not have even been on it because the real one does not have it but on the other hand i know what you mean if it is going to be on the model it should not be loose crooked or broken my thought of twh is that with some major time put into the next run of vehicles i think they could be very good i bought the plow truck and blower truck and i was very disspointed with them so i returned to for a full refund

I bought the Oshkosh Snow Plow, beautiful model, BUT on the mud flaps they have the traditional "Oshkosh" logo printed on flap in white lettering. When I went to touch the flap just to see how ridgid it was I touch the lettering and the last 'h' peeled right off the rubber flap. At that point I didn't touch any of the other printed areas for fear of the same result.

It is a very "busy" model--by busy, I mean excessive detail that just isn't needed and that makes the model flat out fragile. It's really not a piece you can hold and handle. I'm so afriad of damaging it I didn't even attach the plow! It's sittin in a display case with the 1/64 Mack First Gear Plows--which btw cost me $34.99 and have exceptional detail and I quite honestly like that model more. Plus I can get 4 those for the price of one Oshkosh!

I have just purchased and recieved the TWH Grove 3055 Mobile Crane...it is exceptionally detailed and functional in every area possible for a 1/50 model right down to the Mercedes logos on each cylinder cover on the
engine..all six of them. But with all the detail they ae not as good as those by Conrad and NZG..maybe it's me.

As for the term "Museum Quality" ..that is a term we are going to be seeing a lot of in the foreseeable future and mainly from manufacturers who want the edge on their respective competitors. Maybe we should be asking TWH which museums their models are in besides their own.

Code 3 did it with the term "Collectible" ..it makes them sound like a piece that is going into a collection and will appreciate in value as it is a "Collectible" piece...well they are to us but only if we decide we want to collect that specific piece.

We decide what is Museum Quality by buying the models we want for our own museums...we also decide what is collectible to us and no-one else.

Now that the Striker is available............

why didn't Boley make all those versions for a much more reasonable price? The mold must be still there.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)