Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Pretty good phishing scam

I got an email at my office that was smarter than the average phishing scam. It went like this:

"Dear BBVA USA (SM) Customer:

This is not a promotional e-mail. A review of your account has shown recent high-risk activity. Please contact our Customer Service Unit at 1-800-408-9561. We're available 24/7 to take your call.

Please disregard this e-mail if you've already call us since the date this e-mail was sent. We appreciate your prompt attention to this matter. Thank you
BBVA USA Card Fraud Prevention Security Department."

Now, the beauty of this is that it had an official looking logo for the bank. I don't have an account with this particular bank (it's a legitimate Mexican
bank), but because many banks buy and sell each other's loans and mortgages, I stopped and read it. There is no web link provided, but the 1-800 number connects you to a roboteller, who advises you that there is an extraordinarily hig amount of fraud lately, then it asks for your sixteen digit credit card number. I hung up, realizing that once you punch that number in, it will almost certainly ask for you zip or your SSN#, then your sunk.

Thes *******s are getting better all the time, so be careful!

Re: Pretty good phishing scam

Thanks for the heads up Steve. I agree they are getting better at trying to get our info. However aslong as we continue passing along info to one another we can all help each other avoid these scum suckers.

Re: Pretty good phishing scam

For those of you that have Comcast internet.....I was compromised last week. I was locked out of my account. Comcast reset it and I changed my p/w. I noticed I wasn't getting any email traffic. Upon further investigation, when I was locked out--apparently someone breached my p/w, changed it (to lock me out), and set up an autoforward command sending all new incoming emails to a 'gmail' account.

The best part, the individual was then emailing people in my address book, pretending to be me, saying I was out of state, in trouble and unable to log into comcast so I was using my friend's gmail account. It went on to say, "I know we're close and I hate to do this, but could you wire me some money--please I'm in trouble! Any little bit will help."

I have the local authorities and comcast engaged as we are trying to catch this SOB.

Gotta love the age of modern techno. I still have no clue how they breached my p/w?????

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)