Return to Website

ATEV Information & Trading Board

Welcome to the ATEV Message Board

This forum is for collectors of emergency vehicle models to discuss any aspect of the industry. Feel free to post comments on current releases, future models, items for sale/trade, or items wanted.

ATEV Information & Trading Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Code 3 is Done

Well it is official. Code 3 is done as of this year. What is not said is whether or not we will see any of the promised releases.

http://www.dailymarkets.com/stock/2011/08/19/code-3-collectibles-will-cease-production-after-2011/

Good bye my friend. It was fun.

Jeff

Re: Code 3 is Done

Definitely the end of an era. Their early years bring back a lot of good memories.

Just saw the posting on Facebook. It was only a matter of time. Repaints do not sell and the current depressed economy has not helped. Will be interesting to see what the future brings.

Can't say I'm surprised. As Jeff Hawkins said this
product gave Rosie and I the chance to meet some real
nice folks and to make good friends. To the two jerks I can say I won't miss them and really never
have. Let's see what the future holds and how the
other companies will fare. Thanks for the memories
Code 3.

Thank you Arnie and all those that worked for Code 3 past and present. My collection is awesome and is one of my dearest treasures. You did an amazing job while you could and your models along with the fellow collectors I have met online have provided a wonderful and memorable hobby.

God speed.

Now what does this do to the remaining stock that the some of the dealers have, will they keep selling at the current price or will they have a fire sale to unload inventory?

The news is very sad but doesn't surprise me.

It was a lot of fun back in 1997 when Code 3 released the first Seagrave pumpers. And the first couple of years after that, when announcements of new releases had us all excited will be a great memory for me, and all of us, I'm sure. Those were fun times.

Can't say...... Lol

Sorry to see Code 3 Done..I have been a member since 1997 when the Seagrave LAFD were introduced.. Enjoyed the Collectors Club Fire Engines and all the rest.. Lost interest when Arnie sold out.. Still have over 200 vehicles.. Thought they were best to collect for their time..Great catalogs, open houses and great promotions.. Sorry to see them go.

I have to say this is the best line of all (To Arnie) "You did an amazing job while you could". While you could? Was there a law recently passed I don't know about that says Code 3 can no longer produce? Or is it that the consumer finally (and I called it a long time ago) that Arnie, Dunkel, and the other brass at Code 3/Funrise were making money hand over fist. Repaints that sold out for FDNY which cost next to nothing because the molds were already made. Labor costs, again next to nothing. Their big mistake - not asking their customers what they wanted. How many of the membership bought the super pumper set? That was really the beginning of the end. With that, drastic cost cutting, firing Orlando, the only customer service oriented one of the bunch, firing customer service (any smart businessman would think that is a wise decision), and then the big diamond plate debaucle, where code 3 refused to own up, come up on the bulletin boards and face the music. Instead they cowardly posted a message on their website, months after some people hadn't gotten refunds. And best of all....where else can one have a job, where they can skip multiple deadlines in a row (two weeks worth of website updates) "Because I had to play chaufuer to my wife who had a broken leg". Tell her to take a vicodin, sit on the couch, and watch oprah while you actually go in and do the job you were paid to do. Also don't forget about lying to us about "bringing back live customer service people", the fact they chose to make air and space musuem and movie poster crap when that money could have gone directly into r&d. Finally, take an MTH current piece, next to a current piece being offered here. MTH is probably 1.5x the price, maybe a bit more, but worth every penny. Code 3 workers couldn't even put decals on the right way. Too bad it isn't public knowledge what Arnie makes, and the salary and severance Dunk got (and I'm sure there was lots). Finally, to all the dealers who originally made him a hit, and especially Bill at Past Time Hobbies, the guys you screwed over when you got greedy and forced the little guys out of business.....Just remember...what goes around comes around...and hopefully its comin around for you Arnie.

Well Joe I would love to call Arnie ( I think i still have the phone number) and thank him. He is the reason there was a Code 3. He OWNED Funrise and the product was largely his concept and vision. He deserved every penny he earned on them. As for the hand over fist statement, I doubt that as the Code 3 fire line was a small portion of the over all Funrise bottom line. I am sure they made more on the plastic siren trucks in one Christmas season than they did on the Code 3 for the entire year.

As Funrise grew they did make some mistakes. But who hasn't. Right until the end they were making the best diecast fire trucks out there. Not perfect but for the price the best.

The problem I saw was they listened too much to their customers, not enough. Why else would there be apparatus from odd places? Why else would the Super Pumper be made. I can tell you, because in a room full of collectors 95% said they would buy it. The problems was that 95% was probably the bulk of the collectors interested in the models. Why did the go direct? Collectors told them too. In the process they killed off the large distribution channel they had with the local hobby shops. Thus sales waned. Repaints are a necessity for any diecast company. The collectors need to realize this. It is what helps amortize the start up costs for the product. Like it or not FDNY paid the bills that made room for all of the other stuff. Just like the Yankees and Cowboys help support the rest of those leagues.

I find all these hater posts just odd. For years everyone was wishing Code 3 would die and now that they have, everyone seems sad or angry.

Maybe it is just part of the grieving process. You are in the anger phase. I hope you can eventually move on to acceptance. I do seem some in the bargaining phase where they hops someone, anyone will pick up where they left off.

The truth is I think 1/64 diecast fire trucks are done. The scale doesn't fit the masses. Most other lines are 1/24, 1/32, 1/43, 1/50, 1/72 and 1/87. Only the 3" low end stuff is 1/64 or there abouts. The next big thing will fit into one of the train or plastic model scales. 1/64 was always an odd ball in the modeling world. I personally love it and how it does get picked up, but I am not waiting on anyone for it.

Joe, if we can help you through this just reach out brother.

Jeff

"and now that they have, everyone seems sad or angry."

Not everyone......

One of the things that helped kill C3 is the rising labor costs in China. There was an article on the msnbc web site that talked about how some US companies are bringing their production back to the US because there is no longer any cost savings in China and their quality sucks and is nowhere near as good as 'Made in the USA' is. Maybe some day there will another C3 but for now the days of cheap diecast are gone. I'm sad the C3 is gone, but I'm glad that China is going down the tubes. China owns too much of the US and I'm afraid we don't need to worry about an invasion, they'll just call in all the loans and bankrupt us.

This forum will require renewal on August 3, 2009 (38)