Redfield Martial Arts Message Board

TANG SOO DO Discussion Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Re: One-Steps

Hey Jamie,
I am also a member of SBN Redfield's Dojang, here in Garner, NC at Redfeild MA, and as an 8th Gup?, White Belt.. preparing for my first Orange belt test soon, I feel very excited to say the least to have the sense about me now that my One Steps are becoming more natural. There are ways (techniques) that SBN Redfield uses like not throwing the same punch, using a different arm (R vs. L) and adds combinations to the technique, AFTER the technique is somewhat natural or student shows proficiency in the step(s) learned. I am a large individual, 6'4 and weigh about 290, and the steps with the hand motion in the Mi Guk Kwan has helped me not only gain balance with the basic forms, but also gives me the confidence that as I get more training will always fall back on the basics as my first line of memory / defense. I summary, I also agree in both posts, yours and SBN Redfield that unless the basics are proficient, and become second nature in sparring or street fighting (I have not had one, since kindergarten, and thought Karate was just something that was not meant for America?), but as my Son and I both got into Redfield Martial Arts, it is a very beautiful "Art" and I hope to be in it for many, many years, and feel more prepared for every day events with work and home. I am a 911 supervisor in the County that I live in. (Johnston Co, NC, SE of Raleigh.

Thanks for the post, please visit our website often, and if you are in the are pls visit the Dojang,

Tang Soo!!

Fred

Martial Art Style TSD - MGK

Re: One-Steps

Fred,

I am a longtime reader of SBN Redfield's board (at least 3 or 4 years) and read it rather regularly, I just do not post very often. You are very lucky to have a quality instructor like SBN Redfield and a great school to go to.

I certainly would love to visit one day and meet Mr. Redfield and his students. I have garnered a great deal of respect for him over the years reading his boards. I am presently in Arkansas where my school is located, but I travel quite a bit so one day maybe I will be in the area and take a detour and say hello. I think that would be really neat!

Good luck on your upcoming test and that is awesome that your one-steps are coming together. Like I stated, I think a lot of folks in the Martial Arts community are selling them a bit short lately. I agree with Mr. Redfield that when they are used properly as a training tool, they help the student learn so many things that contribute to good martial arts and practical self-defense.

Jamie

Martial Art Style Tang Soo Do