Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Pedometers

Stacey,
I use pedometers in my class as well. I have found that just making a spread sheet with my students names and then writing the information on the sheets is the easiest. At the end of each class the students tell me their score and I write it in on their classes sheet. After each class I total the steps with a calucator. It sounds like I am making more work for myself but this is much quicker than typing each score for the students in the spread sheet.
I hope that this helps.

Re: Re: Pedometers

I have just started using pedometers in my PE classes, and I have the kids record their information (steps and distance) on index cards each class. Each student has their own individual card. I hand them out at the end of class. Students write down the number of steps and total distance recorded on the pedometers. After a total of 5 classes, I have the students total their information on the back of their cards. I then input this data into a spreadsheet which does all the accumulative calculations for me. I find it usually takes me 10 minutes to input the info per class. I can see how it would take a lot longer to input data EACH CLASS! That's why I usually wait until after the 5th class for students to total their numbers before inputing their totals into my spreadsheet.

I'm planning on getting some pedometers for my classes and I was thinking of using a worksheet for each student to keep track of steps and distance. They currently use a circuit training worksheet everyday as they work out in different stations for the first twenty minutes of class and so I think it will be a good idea to add the pedometer to the list. I collect the sheets at the end of the circuit training and could hand it back to them at the end of the 84 minute block so they could imput the pedometer portion of the class.

Currently we use a spreadsheet format. Students record their data daily. We are trying to figure out a way to put the information into the computer. My coworker is working on a program for us to use. But right now we record it on the sheets, and then the students can look at their progress, or lack there of.

I have each squad leader record the steps on an index card for each student. The leader records the number for about 4-6 students and then places them back into the index holder. I then take them and input them into the computer. It goes pretty fast.