Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Heart Rate Monitor Lesson

Ralph,
It costs around $120.00+. I truly don't know whether we would be considered in the category of a tight budget. There are 2 accounts that we have access to, we have to consider purchases for 500 students. I have worked at my school for 16 years and the budget has gone from as low as $800.00 to last year at $1700+ when combining both accounts. We have to have all our purchases done by Dec.1st of each school year. We do not turn in any kind of a wish list. The business office tells us what the school board approved for us and then we may buy what we need.

Hope that helps,
Patti

patti, have you ever applied for any grants, or are all of your purchase done with district monies. thanks, ralph

dave, what kind of HRM are you purchasing

After reading patti's post and talking over with the other teacher at my school we have also decided to go with the wand. All of the points made in the first post were pretty much which sold us, also I like the idea that it can be set up as a station and everyone gets a turn or it can be done as something quick where maybe only a select number of students check it.

Another question: I have seen in the PE books some posters talking about HR that I really liked, showing the target range ect... However, these posters are like 25-30 bucks and I can't help to think that I could either make my own or possibly buy one elsewhere for a much better price, anyone have any advice on this?

That sounds like a good idea. Another way we have used our heart rate monitors (we have a set of 20) is to make it a requirement that each student (high school level) must sign a HRM out (for a period of 2 days) at any point during the school year. They then have to wear it during a physical education class and download the results. Once they have these they are required to write a one paragraph summary of their experience and how they used the equipment, then a one paragraph reaction to their results. We find that this is a good way to make sure that they all get the opportunity to use the equipment, and discover how it can help them to get an accurate assessment of how hard they are working.

Hello-
Another option all together that can still measure many students at once is an InstaPulse. It is a hand held pipe, similar to a track baton. After a good workout, or actually any time during the lesson, students can just hold the sensors on the baton and it reads their pulse in about 5 seconds.
Hope this helps!

Any idea what the cost of the Instapulse is in comparison to heart rate monitors?

Re: Heart Rate Monitor Lesson (discussion #2)

About 100 bucks! Pretty cheap compared to HRM's