Technology in Physical Education and Coaching

Welcome to our Technology in Physical Education and Coaching forum. This is where you will be participating in the class discussions.

Technology in Physical Education and Coaching
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Discussion Number Four (4)

Hi Andrea,

I'm in the process of creating a website. How often do you maintain your website? I know some teachers have a difficult time updating their website. I like your idea of helpful information for parents and tips to improve skills at home. For example: tips for healthy eating or tips for staying active as a family. I'm hoping my website is a tool for parents and students to be used as an extension of the physical education classroom.

I have not created a Web page. I need to check with my tech department to find out if our district hosts a web page I can maintain. I have not seen other teachers in our district maintain web pages. Of course, they may have sites hosted on other servers other than the district website. I have been contemplating this for years but have never taken the time to find out how to start a website or design it. I think a website can be a valuable tool in keeping families informed on what’s happening in their child’s Physical Education class. I would like to be able to make it exciting to warrant my students visiting the site. I am hoping with this class I can get a little more insight into what is required to develop a web page. I am a little leery of putting pictures of students out on the web because of privacy issues. I know you can get permission from parents but I am still concerned of privacy issues when posting information about students. I would really like an opportunity to develop a web site and see what it can do for my program.

I created a webpage last year at my old school. I was able to put a link to the page onto Infinite Campus - Our grading system - which was nice because the when the parents or students checked their grades they could click over to the web page. I use google for my page. I would post our daily activities and access to our monthly events.

I would also post the students mile times by student number, kids thought that was cool because I had them broken down by class but also ranked for the entire school by male and female.

On the home page I also posted our morning family workout schedule.

I have created a website for our P.E. program. It is www.esperanzape.weebly.com. It is a free website from weebly.com. It is super user friendly to create if you know basic computing. I was able to create a main page with information about our P.E. and Health program. I created sub pages for each teacher in our program where they could post things specific to their instruction. You can just click and drag things like text boxes, pictures, designs, links, etc. and they go right on to the website and then you click publish. It is a great way to allow students to access the program from home. If a student needs make up work for being absent, they can go to the site, download an assignment, complete it and email it to the teacher in no time. Students and parents can find out what we do in physical education and health. There are links to their grades, our email and school information for them. The purpose of this website is to familiarize the community about our program and allow parents and students to access what they need to be successful in Physical Education. The website is very beneficial because it answers a lot of questions students and parents might have throughout the school year.

Hi William,

Thank you for recommending weebly.com. I had intentions of getting together with our technology department and creating a website when I got back to school. I am going to play around with this site and see if I can get something up and running for the beginning of the school year. Have you had any feedback from students and/or parents? Thanks again...Laura

I have not yet created a Webpage. I am interested in doing so soon with help from the technology department at school. It would be useful in that the Webpage would consist of syllabus for the year, images on what is being done in PE, goals and vision for the PE program, state standards, electives that will be taught, classroom rules, grading procedure. I would also like to add Podcasts to the site. I would use it to announce upcoming events, updates on the current trends for fitness, and topics in the news related to health and wellness that could spark a brief discussion with the class. This would be an additional source of communication with students and parents.

I have semi created a webpage (actually a few). One was for a class back in college. It was very bare bones and I do not remember much of how I did it. Our school district has, through school fusion, the ability to have each teacher have their own page. It is very simple to use and you can create sub pages for your different classes and post homework and connect with the kids through it. I worked with that one, but there are feature that do not make sense to me. Some of it is really difficult, where other things seem outdated.

I think that creating and maintaining a website is a great deal of work, however, if you keep up with it, it will not seem so overwhelming. Having class websites can be useful for a variety of reasons. You can post small video clips of games or skills you are working on. Students can check to see what is going on, what was done in class if they missed, and review information covered in class. As the teacher, you can post updates, notes, rules, and even post pictures of the students in action. Once you start putting these up, students will be more likely to go onto the site to check to see if they are on it. The one thing you have to be careful of is if they are cleared by their parents to be put on a site.

Many years ago our district started using LEAP (Learning Environment for Academic Progress). It enables our teachers to build interactive websites containing quizzes, surveys, class rules, etc. At the time, we were required to build a website and maintain it throughout the year. On my site, I included my class rules/expectations, rewards and incentives, P.E. News and Field Day information. I was excited about it at first, but it was difficult to maintain and I eventually lost interest. Our district no longer pushes us to keep up the site and, until recently, I had forgotten about it entirely.

I believe the problem began when I first started using LEAP and noticed that I wasn't getting many parents viewing the site. I felt like I was doing all this work and it was going unnoticed. However, things have changed in my district. Now, our school newsletter is electronic, many more parents have email and we have online educational programs that our students access on a nightly basis. It's time to begin again with a website that includes links, surveys, fitness information and photos...not just an electronic newsletter.

I am a bit embarrassed to say that I have never created a web page! I feel this way because a web page would be a wonderfull way to keep parents and families up to date with what goes on in our Wellness department at my elementary school. Our students are involved in many great activities, lessons, and programs, and unless students share all this with their family at home, parents can't appreciate how valuable and necessary Physical Education and Health Education are! During our Wellness classes, we take pictures, videos, share skits and routines, and all these could be posted on a web page. It is also a great avenue to share current and relevant information regarding fitness and wellness to our entire community, not just the students we teach. And lastly, our school has a software program called "Schoolwires" which makes it easy to develop a page. There also is training available for developing our own web page. Our entire school uses the same web page program, so support is definitely available from other staff as well! Sounds like I just talked myself into creating a web page!

Yes! Initially my school was using a intranet format where teachers were able to create websites using Dreamweaver. I had a massive site with links, photos, videos and also had forms, assignments and other important information that students could access and download. This saved me a major hassle trying to re-print things that students had lost.

Unfortunately, my school changed formats to a Sharepoint over the summer without informing any educators and I lost all of my work because it was saved directly on the school's servers. Word of the wise, always have an image of the site saved on you home computer. You can always access the pages created and files without having it published on the web.

Sharepoint is a descent platform, but it doesn't allow the teacher much creativity. If you were to relate it to social media sites, the intranet was more like Myspace where, if you had html knowledge, could be as creative as you wanted, and Sharepoint is relative to Facebook where you can have all the same information (mostly) but lacks any form of creativity because all of the sites are the same format.

A few years ago I was required to create a web page along with all the teachers in my district. I found it interesting but it seemed like another thing to keep me sitting instead of moving and I did not feel a need to keep working on it so I have let it go. I know it is a good way to communicate with the students and parents of my school but I never felt like I needed to do that better. It is still available and I should revisit it. I just feel like life is already so busy that I don't want to add another thing to do if I do not need to. This discussion issue has forced me to think about how I should use this and so I am going to set as a goal to annually visit this site at the beginning of each school year to make sure it reflects what I am doing in my class.

I can see your point about wanting to spend as much time as you can doing the other things that you absolutely need to do. What about having your students help keep the webpage up to date? Perhaps they can all have usernames or passwords so that they can post things that are going on, or things that they are doing, maybe some pictures of videos.

I was thinking that picking a student or two each unit or month to contribute something to the webpage would be reasonable.

I have never created a website from scratch; however we are required to maintain a webpage through our school email server. The webpage lists the activities that we will cover throughout the year in class and some background information about me. Each teacher in school must follow the same outline so there are very little differences between each staff member’s webpage. The webpage that we create are text only and look very bland but additional data and graphics take too long to load so I limit the amount I put on the page. I also have a section that links useful health and physical education to my page so parents can find more about how their child can lead a healthy life. A webpage is a great tool to share information and keep parents and children up to date with what is going on in class. If students have assignments that need to be completed they can find the information on the site and if there are deadlines to follow the student can be accountable for meeting them.

I have never created a web page. I cannot describe how excited I am to make one in the near future. I have just become a head football coach so I am sure that is one of the first things that I will be doing is creating a webpage. When I do create the page, it is going to be to get our brand of football out into the public. I want people to be able to see what we are about and what we do at Santa Clara. It will also be a way for our players to get any of our information as well if they miss a meeting or lose something. It is also going to help the parents reach out to me in another medium.

I have never created a Physical Education specific webpage.

We have a school facebook page that I post pictures and video to, and another page for the girls sports teams that I coach.

A website would be a great way to document and share all of the fun things that happen during class time. It allows parents and people of the community to come into a class, without physically having to go to a class. Just like an art class, it allows the student's to display their work and achievements. It is a great way to keep everyone updated on current and upcoming events rather than having to send a paper notice home.

Having items posted such as grading rubrics, class expectations, homework assignments, etc could help parents understand what you expect from the students and what it requires to earn a good grade.

A website is also a great way to save and share special links and attachments that pertain to the class. Instead of having to email or make lots of photocopies, students can access the information themselves right from the webpage. If student's finish work early or need extra credit, projects can be created from the resources posted on the webpage.

Having a website would allow you to communicate and share ideas with other PE teachers. Our school webpage and updated very frequently, but it would be great to have a link of the school page that would bring you directly to my personal page.

I had to create a webpage years ago for my school. We were all forced to create this webpage as a means to better communicate with parents and students. In addition, I thought that it would save me time, because parents and students wouldn't have to communicate with me regarding little things, like obtaining paperwork etc. It was already all there for them, at their fingertip!

At the time it seemed like a great idea and it was for all intents and purposes. The problem was that it was very difficult to maintain and little to no time was allowed to maintain them. They quickly became outdated and most of the time students and parents would just email me for the information that they needed. Some other teachers had trouble with monitoring all the discussion boards and some students received disciplinary action due to writing inappropriate things.

A website that is easy to maintain and update would be very helpful in my work. I would love to have a place where students can access paperwork, forms, and ask questions related to the class. I would also like to have a discussion board (that is easily monitored) for students to discuss topics related to class. In addition, it would be helpful to have a section where students can preview videos that will be referred to in class. I would also like to send messages to the class to remind them of deadlines and assignments etc. Lastly, I could link my website to our district's online grade book for both students and parents to access grades and to contact me regarding any questions or concerns they have.

I created a Wiki this year for my health class. Through this wiki, I was able to connect with the students after school hours. There were discussion boards on the wiki and I was able to get class discussions going for part of their homework. It was neat to use and great to see the collaboration of the students from their own technology at home.
This experience will help me as I create a Wiki for my physical education classes.

I have created a Webpage previously. I used the archaic method of creation in Microsoft Word for my site. My main purpose in creating this site was for students to acquire information after missing class due to illness or extra curricular activities.

I am going to create a new site this school year. I am still going to use the site for students that miss class but I am going to add many other items to this site. I may use the site as a place to receive student feedback. I may use the site to post links of articles that I want students to read before coming to class. I may even use the site to post video or pictures of students in action during my physical education class!

I have never created a webpage on my own - apart from a school program. I had a part in helping create our Athletic webpage, learning some HTML codes and things like that. I have also worked in Moodle with my own class webpages. They were created for me - in the shell sense - and then I learned how to fill and organize them and use them for my classes last year. I also just took a class on teaching with Moodle - again, assigned a page and then I had to populate it as a webpage for my imaginary class. I learned a lot from that experience and will be able to use our class webpage now for all sorts of things. It is convenient for PE, as a place to keep our "paperwork" kinds of things that are not otherwise conducive to gyms and locker rooms. In addition, I can have forums there, post videos, wiki assignments, conduct surveys, give quizzes, homework assignments, etc. Very useful - and more so in the future!

I have not created a webpage before, but it is something that I have discussed and thought about. I think the time for me to do this is approaching. Our district has made great strides in technology over the past 2 years. We went from having a terrible website with no information on it to a very useful and functional website. There has been talk that each teacher in our district will have a page on our site. The current discussion to how this will be done. As you can imagine there are a number of teachers who have reservations about this, but I can't wait until we get that opportunity. I feel like PE teachers often work in isolation and even with our efforts sometimes stakeholders don't know about all of the things we do for our students. A webpage would be a fantastic way to get the word out about my program. I would be able to post expectations of my classes as well as weekly lesson plans and objectives. This would show parents and community members that we aren't just "playing games" in class and that actual learning is taking place. I would also like to post pictures and videos of units and lessons we do in class. One thing I really think is a good idea is to post links to instructional videos on different sports and skills. This could be used as a resource for parents who might have children interested in activities they don't know much about. This way the parents and children could become more educated in that particular activity and work on it together. For example, if a child shows an interest in soccer, but the parent doesn't know much about soccer they could go to my page as a resource to help the child improve.

Reply to Morgan Braucht Re: Discussion Number Four (4)

Morgan,

I agree with you that all the stakeholders don’t know about all the things we do for our students in our P.E. programs. A website is a perfect way to display what your program is all about and what your students are learning each day. I like how you mentioned that you could post videos of units and lessons taught. Currently, on my website I only post pictures, but video clips of students in action would be a lot of fun to have on my website. I think students would be really excited to see themselves on the website performing particular skills/drills. I am going to try this in the future and thanks for the idea! Also, I like your idea of posting instructional videos on different sports and skills as a resource for parents. Currently, I only have rules of particular sports and games on my website, but I would like to use your idea and post instructional videos in the future.

I have never created a website and never thought I would be interested in doing so until I took this course. I think I will be creating one that will include things like my student contract, class rules and poliicies, grading procedures, syllabus, quiz and test announcements, quiz and test practice questions, extra credit options, video clips on various topics that we are covering in both health and PE. I could go on for ever! There are so many different things you could include that would make parents understand exactly what was happening in my class and that, in the long run, would hopefully help our program to expand.

My teammate and I had to create a teacher website for our PE department. We use it to communicate our curriculum, assignments, important fitness concepts, a word wall, the Gym Show pictures and schedule, and fun pictures and quotes, along with our schedules and biographies. The most difficult thing it keeping it up to date.

I did create a webpage for my school website. The purpose of the website was to keep parents informed as to what is going on in our program. It is a great resource for parents and a great communication tool. My problem is lack of updates that I do to it. I need to make it part of my weekly schedule.

I have a PE webpage on my elementary school's website. I posted PE links, instructional dance videos, and some homework sheets for the students to earn toe tokens for their physical activity outside of class. Unfortunately it is hard for some students/parents to access the webpage if they do not have a computer or internet at their house. The webpage is hard to maintain for me. It is not easily accessible and confusing to upload and change links. Therefore, I feel intimated by it and hardly ever change or use it.
I would like to take a class or course on how to use it so I could use it more often and keep it updated. If I was able to maintain the webpage I would keep our curriculum posted on it, explain lessons, objectives and post as many instructional videos for each unit as I could.

I experienced some of the same obstacles as Lauren when I first created a website. It was hard to access and complicated to edit. Now that our tech department introduced us to iWeb, I find it is easy to edit my page, add pages, add links, upload images, charts and videos. I strongly recommend iWeb if you use an Apple computer.

I don’t promote my website enough, but now that I’ve taken this course, I plan to include it in my lesson plans. First I’m giving extra credit for completing the quizzes and worksheets I’ve added, and eventually I’ll make it a graded element for students in grades 4 – 8.

I do not get many visitors to my site. I tried to add a counter, but it doesn’t work. It always reads 00 even after I visit my own page from a different computer. I know I lack visitors because no one has "taken the bait" of extra credit.

I realize that many of my students, like Lauren’s, do not have Internet access in their homes. I will probably offer before or after school sessions in the computer lab.

I also think a course in Web design would be helpful : )

Yes, our school webiste has the ability to host web pages for each classroom teacher/special teacher. My colleague and I put together a PE webpage that has our curriculum and timeline on it, along with pictures and videos of different units we have done. We have a list of our rules of the gym along with specific rules for certain individual units like gymnastics. I have a list of links to websites that relate to PE and i have also posted instructional videos of myself with some of my students for our dance unit so that the students can practice at home and can even get their parents to practice with them. Hardest part about all this seems to be getting people to actually go to the website, guess i have to come up with some more interesting things to grab there attention, problem is we dont have a lot of capabilities with the webpage to do a whole lot.

I have created a webpage before. The purpose is to give students access to assignments, have a way for them to ask questions or communicate with me, and a way for parents to see what the students are doing in PE. I can post pictures and videos. I can show parents and community members some of the information about the students fitness level and what students are interested in.

Honestly, I have never created a webpage! We have a few younger teachers now on staff and are planning to create our own Health/PE webpage this summer. It would be very useful in my work because I could post all of the assignments and documents right on there for students to access. I could have a message board, such as this, and encourage students to write comments and ask questions. I could post extra credit on there as well as links to other Health/PE resources. On this website, I could also post videos and have students log on and evaluate them. There are so many options available. This is something that will definitely be done before school starts in the fall.

I have created a Webpage at school with the help of the internet technician at school. The purpose of my webpage is to inform parents about the rules of our physical education department. Our grading system for our department is on the website. I also included contact information as well as my teaching qualifications.
I think a website for my students would be very useful. I could post our upcoming activities, post their grades and links to websites that might interest them. I could also include a blog on the site, of course I would have to approve everything that was published onto the website. I could include a fitness program and the students could follow a detailed description of how to get in shape. I could also include forms for nutrition and healthy eating.

I have created web pages for my students and many of the teams I have coached, youth sports and high school. Some of the uses I have had for the web pages are:
-for my high school football team I put upcoming events, results of activities and contests, password protected playbook information and work out schedules/descriptions
-For my youth teams I would post travel directions to game, photos of the players, a blog,cancellations due to weather and such and useful links
_ as a teacher I currently have a website that the school district requires us to have. The pages include info on fundraising events like AHA's Jump for Heart, our own special programs to encourage reading and exercise at home called Fit & Lit, attire suggestions as the seasons change and a monthly newsletter called Gems from the Gym

My favorite free website builder is called Freewebs.com.

Many years ago I created a PE webpage. This webpage's purpose was to provide students access to game and sport rule sheets, along with study guides to print and use to prepare for tests. Currently I am using facebook as a platform for communicating the things I do in the classroom and in our bike park. Pictures, video, informational posts regarding upcoming events, trail maintenance days, group rides, annual district adventure run, etc. are all communicated via facebook. One thing I'd like to look into is getting a "donate" button inserted into our facebook page to help us raise money for adding trail features and a pumptrack to our bike park.

Hi Rick,

I know that Pay Pal has a "donate" button but i am not sure if you are allowed to place that on Facebook. You can always try starting a blog and I believe that you can place the "donate" button on there. Most blogs are free like Facebook.

I started working on a webpage a couple a years ago for the high school physical education department at my district. The page was being created in order to give students and parents access to health material that was presented in class. I never got it fully started because I began working on it and than my district announced that they were in the process of creating separate webpages for each department at my school.
If I go back and finish my departments website or if the district gets the website up and running it will be very beneficial to students and parents. Students would be able to go to the website to catch up on class material that they may have missed or work on future assignments. Parents can use the website to find out the requirements and what their child should be doing for the class, along with information on how to contact their child’s teacher with any questions. Since we are living in a digital age parents want to be able to see what their child is currently doing in class.

Our school is fortunate to have a quality tech department, available to provide training on occasion. During one of our teacher in-services, we learned how to create Webpages for our content areas. The application we use is called iWeb. The purpose of this ongoing project is to allow parents to see what their children are learning and doing in PE classes. Included on each Website is a short biography of the teacher. My Webpage contains a list of the units I teach with hyperlinks to respective study guides. On my fitness page I added links explaining each of the physical fitness tests we use. Since starting this class, I have begun to use (and plan to add) educational links, such as podcasts/vodcasts, blogs, discussion boards and a list of community resources. I plan to reach out and interact with the community in a meaningful way. This area of the Danielson Model of Teaching is part of our professional evaluations. In component 4c it states, “Teacher’s efforts to engage families in the instructional program are frequent and successful. Students contribute ideas for projects that will be enhanced by family participation.” This is what I hope to accomplish.

Yes I have created and updated a webpage. The purpose of my webpage was to put "content and information" at my students fingertips. I've used it for my elective class, as well as my basic physical education classes. I uploaded syllabus's we use for our physical education classes and health classes, doctor excuses (in the case where students/ parents/ guardians need to print it out), writing prompts, and more. I continue to add to this webpage as I come up with new ideas. This past year I added a unit on my webpage for an STI/ STD unit we cover in health.

Leanne
I like that you put a Doctor Excuse note on the web page. It is frustrating when students come to class with a generic letter stating "Johnny is excused from PE until further notice" I think a detailed note that everyone myst follow is a great idea!! I plan on developing one for my page now

Thank you

Dominic

I created a web page for my wrestling team. I was able to put valuable information on it for my wrestlers, parents, fans and potential campers. I had information ranging from season schedules, to history, to summer camp, to current rosters. I was able to set up alumni events and ask for donations to the program. I downloaded pictures from events and past wrestlers.
I could develop this same type of page again for my wrestling team as well as my classroom. I have used a "classroom page" from our district website. I put my syllabus, handout outs study guides and any pertinent info as needed. We recently adopted "Blizzard Bags", which are online assignments the students must do during a calamity day. My work e-mail is on this page so parents and students can contact me when needed.

I have created two Webpages before and they were both for work. The first Webpage I created was for when I taught P.E. at a high school and the second one I created is for my current P.E. teaching position at an elementary/middle school. Both Webpages were posted on our school’s website so students and parents could learn more about my P.E. program. At both schools every teacher has their own Website and we are allowed to put anything we choose on them.

On my current Website I have a biography of myself, how to contact me, my grading rubrics, the national standards, the units that will be taught for each grade level, handouts for each unit, photos of students being active in class, and additional links that I think students would enjoy exploring. I am still working on adding more and I am always updating to keep with the current year. I found creating the Website was very useful. It allows me to be creative, but also inform others of what is going on in my class. The Website helps me communicate with parents at home as well.

Unfortunately, I have not made a webpage. My colleagues and I have talked about making one. So hopefully we can try to make one this year. I think a webpage would help our program showcase our goals and what the students are learning. It keeps the parents informed about students performance, homework among other things. It makes learning personal to the students and parents.

Mandy,

I think this would be a great idea too. I feel a little intimidated by it but if I learned how to do it then I think it would be great and the students and parents would enjoy it as well.

Karen Pineda

There was one time many years ago that I tried to create a Webpage in order to kind of start my own business and to sell products, however, I never really finished it or got really into it. I know that there is a lot of potential uses for a webpage. It could be used as information for the students, containing information for homework and things that were going on in class. Students could also find pertinent information and links to other fitness related information. I believe that parents could also utilize it to get needed information from as well.
Karen Pineda

Have you ever created a Webpage? If so, what was its purpose? What are some ways that a Website you create and maintain might be useful in your work?

I have created a webpage for my department and also for my health and physical education classes.
Creating it was the hard part but now that it is there, I maintain, update and add things weekly.
The page has many uses. It is a resource for students and parents. There are assignments, handouts, videos, workouts, resources used in class, recipes, policies, among other things on my site.
It is most useful for students needing missed assignments or alternative work to be completed for physical education credit.
Every teacher should use a site to help connect with parents, students and community.

Jennifer,

I would like to create a webpage for my PE department in the near future. What you described on your page sounds awesome and is what I would like to include on mine some day. I have some questions for you. I was wondering how you went about your school to create one... Do other departments have webpages already? Did you need to see you computer technology specialist at your school/district? Did you need to find web space? Are there certain sites/programs you would suggest that are good for school based webpages? when you communicate with parents can you message them right through the page or do you leave your contact information and they message you through phone/email?

I really think designing a webpage makes a teacher more accountable and respected for all the work they are now seen doing. Especially in PE and other elective classes, many are not aware of all the learning that goes on in our field of teaching. Thank you for sharing your experience.

-Jessica

Yes I have, I crated a webpage for our baseball and volleyball teams.I use this page in order to put player profiles up and information on the upcoming season and stats from the previous season.

http://woostervolleyball-com.webs.com/

http://www.woosterbaseball.webs.com/

As a PE department we have thought about making a webpage so that students can link to the school accountant to pay for their uniforms, and also provide everyday information that they need in order to be successful in PE

I have never created an official webpage for work but I definitely would like to in the near future. In college I took a computer course and we learned how to create webpages. When I coached in my previous district, all teachers and coaches had a small page with our names and title, however, the page was vague and not very personal. If I had my own webpage and/or department webpage for my school I would include: my contact information, biography of myself, the units that are taught to my students, as well as engaging photos and videos of students (proper approval for student photos and video by administration required). I feel like creating the webpage would be very useful. Parents would be able to communicate through the webpage with me as well. I would also add reminders for students and parents such as when grades have been updated, assessments administered, change in schedule, etc.

I also feel a web page could be useful for the same reasons. Since I have never created a page I was wondering how often should a page be updated and does it take a long time?

In addition to teaching I am a vacation director for adults with special needs/developmental disabilities called Fun Time Vacation Tours. I have created the website www.clftvacations.com for travelers and their caregivers to find information about our company and to sign up to come on summer vacations.

In education I am given an "eboard" by the district. The eboard is much more simple than a traditional website and is limited by what type of content is posted. The eboard allows me to post basic information about my class/program and allows someone to send me an email. I have used it to lead a user to external links, particularly google docs. It also allows me to attach a file for download. Overall, it has been a mediocre way to communicate with families and share relevant information about my class. Google Classroom and Twitter have become a much more convenient way to communicate and share information.

I appreciated your post and will refer to Google Classroom soon to discover how this may be beneficial to my district and specifically to my classes. Can you give me a quick list of benefits that Google Classroom has versus your current class page?
Also, we have just begun to use twitter for the classroom where I have started to post activity pictures and announcements. What is your main use of twitter and have you had any problems using it or experience a student abuse of the page?
Thanks, George

I have attempted to make a webpage on 2 occasions. It always seemed that we as a district kept changing the sites to use to create a homepage of our own. This year however, we have finally gone to a district wide web based internet page (Edline) with links to our own homepage so all students, parents, and administration can see what we are doing in class. We have the basic intro and expectations of our classes and a small bit on ourselves. Content and homework are listed as well as photos and videos of our experiences in class. Edline can also be used to provide immediate feedback to the teacher with surveys and quizzes that the site actually evaluates.
As I become more familiar with the options within Edline, I can basically provide any and all information that anybody with a special interest in my class can access and explore. Things are going in the right direction, just have to learn to keep it all straight as the growth of technology and its capabilities are overwhelming at times.

Although I have never made a web site I can see some uses for it. In coaching it could be a way to share schedules, changes, pictures, directions to sites, and other information. Players, parents, other interested parties would have up to date access.

1 2